The smart aleck in me is dying to write: Go to the store. Ask the lady for olive oil. Pay for it. Oh.. guess I did write it. Anyway, the reason it’s important to know how to buy olive oil in India is because there are a lot of scamsters who are trying to make some easy money off the whole “olive oil is healthy” and “switch to olive oil for healthy living” messages. And after hearing the (rather horrific) story of a girl cooking with extra virgin olive oil, I felt that it couldn’t hurt to get the information out there in one place. That’s the back story of deciding to write this how to buy olive oil in India post. Now on to it…
How to Buy Olive Oil in India: Recommended Types of Olive Oil and Where to use Them
- Extra-virgin olive oil: Strong natural flavours that go perfectly with uncooked foods like salads, salmon or as a dip for bread. They have not been treated or processed with chemicals at all and come in grades ranging from premium extra virgin olive oil to virgin olive oil based on their flavour and acidity levels.
- Olive Oil or Pure olive oil: A blend of virgin oil and refined oils. The refining process neutralises the strong aroma making it unsuitable as a seasoning on uncooked food. We recommend this oil for cooking Indian food because the flavour of the oil does not affect the flavours of the Indian masalas.
How to Buy Olive Oil in India: NOT Recommended Types of Olive Oil
- Olive pomace oil: Simply put, it’s what they make using what’s left after all the good stuff is pressed out of the olive. It is actually not “olive oil” at all. It has a neutral flavour and even though it is “fit for human consumption,” most recommend using it to make soap. Oddly enough, the President of the Indian Olive Oil Association recommends this oil for Indian cooking – we vehemently disagree.
- Refined olive oil: Is the olive oil obtained through refining processes that neutralise the strong flavours.
How to Buy Olive Oil in India: Importers and Brands
Since it isn’t possible to produce olive oil in India, any Indian manufacturer is a fake. All olive oil sold in the Indian market should be in this list.
- R R Oomerbhoy: Bertolli
- Olive Tree: Olitalia
- Suresh Kumar: Olicoop
- Manisha International: Colavita
- Dalmia Continental: Leonardo
- Sri Roda: Figaro
- Dhanya: Filippo Berio
- Borges India
We definitely recommend incorporating olive oil in your diet because of its health benefits and now with our guide on how to buy olive oil in India, there’s no excuse for you not to start.